Monday, August 19, 2013

Kids Ministry

I (Laurie) wear many hats during the week.  I work in an administrative capacity at both Reformed Theological Seminary and the Oviedo Counseling Clinic (where Ben does his counseling internship).  I also am privileged to work as a Kids Ministry Assistant at Lake Baldwin Church.  This position has allowed me to use some of the knowledge and skills I acquired through my Master's program.  For those of you who do not know, I have a Master's Degree in School Counseling.  So it is very rewarding for me to work with kids and share God's love with them in this capacity.

My favorite aspect of this role is to plan and lead a monthly worship service for the kids, ages 2-11.  This combines my passion for kids with my passion for music, while at the same time focusing it all on the goal of the kids knowing God more.  It's a winning combo!  Each week, the 2-4 year old children come in for a 15 minute worship time where we pray together, sing songs, play musical instruments, and dance and act silly.  I try to create an environment that is filled with JOY for these little ones as they absorb some truth through the lyrics and enjoy the music.  It is always a fun time.

I get to be with the 5-11 year old kids for about 45 minutes each month.  In this time, I have not only sought to give them time to learn and sing worship songs and watch worship videos but to become more familiar with what it means to give praise to God for the happenings in our daily lives.  So each month, we have a 5-10 minute time of sharing praises for the month.  The kids seem to appreciate this time very much.  We give all glory to God for the blessings that they share.  This time also helps me to get to know their stories better.  We also have a church member give a short devotion and we end our time with a Bible game.  I have also been working with them on a song that we will be singing in church next month!  

My life has been blessed tremendously through this role.  I have been challenged and have learned more about what kids ministry looks like "behind the scenes."  It's hard work!  But such rewarding work.

No comments:

Post a Comment